Tax Break for married couples or those in a civic partnership.


Did you know that if you are married or in a civic partnership  you could potentially be entitled to a £900 tax break ?  

if your partner has died since 5 April 2015 you should still qualify.

The Marriage Allowance lets you transfer £1,190 of your Personal allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner – if they earn more than you.

This reduces their tax by up to £238 in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the next year).

For you to benefit as a couple, one of you has to be a non-taxpayer, which usually  means earning less than the £11,850 personal allowance between 6 April 2018 and 5 April 2019 (this was £11,500 for 2017/18, £11,000 for 2016/17 and £10,600 for 2015/16).

If you or your partner were born before 6 April 1935, you might benefit more as a couple by applying for Married Couple’s Allowance instead.

You cannot get Marriage Allowance and Married Couple’s Allowance at the same time.

How to apply.

Its relatively straight forward you can use the on line application form via HMRC. You will need to have both your national insurance numbers and one of a range of different acceptable forms of ID for the non-tax payer. If you don’t have access to the web you can telephone 0300 200 3300 and do it over the phone (But be aware you can wait an age to get through. But persevere if you meet the criteria.)  

If your still  unsure you meet the criteria  contact the income tax help line for advice and further information.

Author: Carol Osborne

UK Money Blogger. Making Money, Saving Money... No financial Expert... But .. I’ve learnt a few things along the way. On a mission to Make Money and Sharing ideas as I go along. Writer. Film maker. Theatre Director.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *